It’s difficult to believe that the carefree days of summer are already past! Kids are in school, the nights are cooling, and PDI’s annual Open Enrollment is just around the corner (more updates on the exact dates to follow). But it’s certainly not too early about researching which options might be best for you and your family this year. The biggest mistake you can make is just “letting it ride” and staying with all of your old elections without giving it any consideration. Why?
Healthcare needs of you or your family may have changed over the past year.
- Was someone diagnosed with a chronic disease or disorder?
- Has someone started regular treatment of a brand-name prescription drug?
- Did a child leave home or turn 26?
- Did you expand your family?
- Did you or your spouse get a pay raise last year that moved you into another tax bracket?
- Did your spouse’s employer make changes to their health insurance?
- Did a family member obtain/lose a job with health care coverage?
Any one of these issues (or countless more) means that a thorough review of your 2016 benefit options would be a great idea. So to start this conversation along, I thought I’d post a couple of blog entries covering the most frequently asked questions I get during Open Enrollment.