The Blue Cross Blue Shield High Deductible Health Plan (BCBS-HD) involves pairing a high deductible PPO plan with a tax-advantaged account, called a Health Savings Account (HSA). An HSA is a savings account that you can use to cover a wide range of qualified medical costs. HSAs have special tax advantages and are regulated by the Treasury Department.
Key Things to Remember about CDHPs
- To get an HSA, you must be enrolled in a high deductible health plan.
- In the BCBS-HD plan, premiums are lower than the other types of health plans we offer. This is because you pay a greater share of your health care costs.
- You don’t have to choose a primary care physician (PCP).
- You can get care from doctors, hospitals and specialists in the network or outside the network, but know that you’ll pay higher out-of network costs.
- You don’t usually need a referral to see a specialist.
PDI will make a $250 deposit into your HSA on the first payday of the Plan Year. You can use that money, plus any funds you deposit into your own HSA towards healthcare costs, including your deductibles and any copays.